Thursday, 13 June 2013
As of June 25th, 2013, Thexyz will be performing a maintenance on the Thexyz Email and Microsoft Hosted Exchange environments which will remove the ability for mail clients to send mail using the legacy authentication protocol, CRAM-MD5. Once removed, a very small portion of our customers may lose the ability to send mail until their mail client's SMTP authentication method is changed.
Why are we making this change?Well, here at Thexyz we are continually striving to improve the quality, usability, and security of our email services. While CRAM-MD5 is a secure authentication protocol, the industry as a whole has been migrating away from using this mechanism. The recommended method for sending mail today is to use PLAIN/PASSWORD authentication over an SSL or TLS connection.
Will I be impacted?Our extensive testing in preparation for this maintenance has proven that the vast majority of mail clients do not use CRAM-MD5 by default. It is very difficult to pinpoint each and every mail client, version, device, etc that could be impacted, although we do know that if you are running one of the following configurations you could be impacted by this change:
- Apple Mail (Mac Mail)
- Apple devices still running legacy iOS versions (prior to IOS 6.x)
NOTE: Customers using iPhones with Mobile Sync enabled will NOT be impacted.
I'm impacted / will be impacted... How do I fix this?If you feel you may be impacted, or after the maintenance is complete you are no longer able to send mail from your client, you can resolve this issue using one of the following means:
1. Re-configure your mail client so it does not use CRAM-MD5 authentication for SMTP (sending). We also suggest connecting to our system via SSL or TLS when sending email. Instructions for setting up your mail client can be found at https://webmail.thexyz.com.
Please refer to the following articles for instructions on changing the SMTP authentication method:
- Updating Password Authentication Method on Thunderbird
- Updating Password Authentication Method on Your iPhone or iPad
- Updating Password Authentication Method on Mac Mail
2. Thexyz Support Team is always an option! You can call or chat with a member of our support team and we can walk you through the process.
Is there a workaround while I'm trying to set this up properly?
Absolutely! You can always login to webmail to access and send email like normal should you experience issues and need to send something quickly. The webmail login can be accessed here: https://webmail.thexyz.com. You may also read the frequently asked questions below.
If you have any questions or concerns about this maintenance, please feel free to contact a member of Thexyz Support team and we'll be happy to assist you.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Can you tell if I’m affected?
A: Unfortunately, we have no way of identifying which users specifically are connecting with CRAM-MD5 authentication.
As long as your users are connected with PLAIN/PASSWORD authentication over an SSL or TLS connection, they will not see an impact. It's always best to double check on the mail clients in question.
Q: Why are only certain clients affected?
A: While we do not know for sure every email client and/or version that could be affected, email clients will be affected if configured using CRAM-MD5. We have put together instructions for the most common clients and devices that we are aware of that could be configured using CRAM-MD5. As far as we can tell, outlook users will not have any issues.
Q: What will happen if I do nothing and I’m affected?
A: Your incoming emails will still be delivered as normal. You will receive an error, however, when attempting to send emails using SMTP. As a work-around, you can always use webmail to send/receive at: https://webmail.thexyz.com
We tested a bunch of FTP clients for iOS devices and found these to be the best. Most of them cost between $1 to $5 but we found the small p...
There is a multitude of website promotion techniques that you can implement to better market your website offerings and increase your traff...
Connect your social accounts for easy login You can now login to Thexyz Forum and your Thexyz Server with Facebook or Twitter account...
In recent months, Touchdown has been purchased by Symantec and the development has been put on hold. It is only iOS devices like an ...
Over the past year, we have worked with many different domain registries to offer our customers the largest selection of domains and also...
- ► 2014 (40)
- Thexyz Forum mobile app by Tapatalk is free
- Outlook Sync Now Available in Beta
- No Longer Accepting Payments From Bluesnap
- Phasing Out SMTP Authentication using CRAM-MD5
- Updating Password Authentication Method on Thunder...
- Updating Password Authentication Method on Your iP...
- Updating Password Authentication Method on Mac Mai...
- Sync Your Music To Your Phone Without iCloud
- ▼ June (8)
- ► 2012 (43)
- ► 2011 (69)
- ► 2010 (55)